My sister is working in NZ as a veterinarian and is very very unhappy in her workplace. She wants to quit but her

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi there, my sister is working in NZ as a veterinarian and is very very unhappy in her workplace. She wants to quit but her contract sayd she needs to give 3 months notice. They are bullying her and she is worried about her mental health. She would like to quit straight away. What are the legal ramifications if she breaks this contract and doesn't give 3 months notice?
JA: Has your sister discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: She has bought up her concerns about not feeling supported in her workplace with her boss. Her boss hasn't made any positive changes to help her. She wrote a formal letter to her boss outlining her concerns. She hasn't talked to a lawyer.
JA: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?
Customer: She is on a salary. There is no union. She is a memeber of the Veterinary Surgeons Board
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all
Answered by null in 7 mins 1 year ago
10+ years of experience

Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

10+ years of experience

Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

null, Expert

Hi, I’m John Melis, solicitor, and I am in Australia. I know you have a lot of choices, and there are various ways to move forward. May I suggest that you consider the following steps:

As your sister is an Australian citizen, your sister can just cancel the contract on immediate notice stating that she needs to return to Australia. Your sister will not suffer any repercussions on that basis as she's returning to Australia.

Would you like to consider this option?

Please let me know how you go with your sister's resignation from the workplace.

​I can hear your concern and your voice, and if you follow the steps I’ve suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer