My expartner, took my daughter to Hungary without advising me, if I get a lawyer, can we makey daughter come back to New

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: My expartner, took my daughter to Hungary without advising me, if I get a lawyer, can we makey daughter come back to New Zealand? My daughter was born in new Zealand. Please, can i get my daughter back? Help pls
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?
Customer: No, police have advised me to get a lawyer. Pls help, can you call?021842310
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I am talking to you? Monday I will go to the court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I desperately need to know if I can bring back my daughter to New Zealand, do I have the right to do so?
Answered by Chris The Lawyer in 2 mins 3 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
10+ years of experience

42430 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

Chris The Lawyer
10+ years of experience

42430 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

Chris The Lawyer, Expert

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question


Chris The Lawyer, Expert

You can apply under the Care of Children Act and the Hague Convention to have the child returned. Have they left permanently or are they there on a holiday? Generally the court will order the child returned to New Zealand and Hungary is a party to the Hague Convention and must therefore cooperate to return the child


Chris The Lawyer, Expert

The Family Court website says

Get a child returned to New Zealand

If your child has been taken from New Zealand or kept overseas without your agreement, you should:

You should take action as soon as possible. Any delay may later be seen as a lack of concern about the child being overseas without your agreement.

The options that are available to you will depend on which country your child has been taken to or is being kept in.

Hague Convention countries

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of Child Abduction is an international agreement between a number of countries. It aims to make sure that children who are taken or kept overseas are returned as quickly as possible to the country in which they usually live. The Hague Convention assumes that the courts in the country where the child usually lives are best able to make decisions about the child.

Apply to get your child back under the Hague Convention

If your child has been taken to a Hague Convention country, you need to contact the Ministry of Justice or a lawyer. They will check if the Hague Convention applies. The lawyer will help you fill in the forms.

Postal address:
Central Authority, Hague Convention
Ministry of Justice
New Zealand

I had no idea! I thought she was going to a friend's for the night. She left yesterday morning. I am desperately trying to get my daughter home. We were thinking of moving to Hungary in 5years or so. My oldest daughter (Jade) is having a baby next May, making me a grandfather! I said I was feeling uncomfortable moving now but we were just talking about it. Since then she has been distant. Now she kidnapped my daughter while I was at work.
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer