We have travel credit with and so does our son and we can’t take our flights because of the covid 19 virus issue, our

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi. We have travel credit with virgin and so does our son and we can’t take our flights because of the covid 19 virus issue, our son has booked through flight centre, we booked direct. He and his wife have been informed that they can’t have a refund, they can have travel credit but they must book a flight before new company take over, is this correct. Also we can’t book any flights overseas at present because none are allowed and virgin isn’t taking bookings for overseas, what can we do and where do we stand with the buyout etc, we can’t afford and my son as well can’t afford to lose the money
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I Amin Tasmania and my son is in Queensland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We went through virgin and have travel credit our son has gone back to flight centre and gas been told they will lose it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My son has had a transplant and because of everything can’t now travel also both of us can’t afford to lose the credit
Answered by John Melis in 34 mins 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79040 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
79040 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79040 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

In relation to import matter, the aspect you need to consider is the terms and conditions of the agency you are using, especially any ticket purchases you have paid in full, upon reviewing their terms and conditions, if you think the agency or another third-party is not acting appropriately in regards ***** ***** necessary assistance with refunds or changes to bookings, you may be able to raise a claim for misleading conduct.

I note the following actions that you may consider.

Consumers have a set of consumer guarantees when purchasing most products or services that can’t be excluded, modified or limited by contract.


If one of the consumer guarantees under the Australian consumer law has not been met, generally the seller must repair, replace or refund whether it is goods or services. The type of remedy depends on whether the failure is major or minor.

Certain signs are unlawful, such as:

• ‘No refunds’

• ‘No refunds on sale items’

• ‘Exchange or credit note only for the return of sale items’.

Consumer guarantees still apply regardless of whether an item is on sale.

If the customer has simply changed their mind, the seller does not have to refund. However, if the seller has an in-store policy to offer a refund, exchange or credit note if a customer changes their mind, then this policy should be clearly displayed at the point of sale or included on your business’ website (if it has one). If the store has such policies, they must follow them

There are different ways a customer can provide proof of purchase, not just a cash register or hand-written receipt. These may include:

• a credit or debit card statement

• a receipt or reference number given for phone or internet payments

• a copy or photograph of the receipt.

Business cannot:

not mislead customers, including about what the customer is entitled to under their terms and conditions

not act unconscionably when dealing with their customers

not seek to rely on unfair terms in standard form contracts with customers.

You can seek resolution in the following way and claim compensation as well.

I recommend that you file a claim as soon as possible.

What you need to do is issue a formal complaint in writing to the other party, seeking an assessment/review on the matter, and that you require a response within 7 to 14 days subject to your requirements.

Make sure you enclose al factual evidence you have with the correspondence that you send to the other party.

When you draft this correspondence make sure it is in chronological order that is by listing with numbers example; one, two, three, etc.

The more detail you provide it will assist in resolving the specific matter in a timely way.

Where no response is received and you have reviewed the conditions carefully on the agreement if there are any, and you are still not in satisfied with the situation that is occurring, you can then raise a claim in the Tribunal or Court

​Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer