I have a question about family law. I do all the driving to access my child who lives 260 km away from me. I get her

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I have a question about family law. I do all the driving to access my child who lives 260 km away from me. I get her every second weekend so I drive 520 km on Friday there and back then again on Sunday. That is roughly 24,960 km per year to access my child and the fuel can be expensive. I need my truck for work purposes and its older so its not worth selling to get a car either. What are my options in regards ***** ***** support when I spend so much money alone to access my child. I still have to pay rent, bills, clothes, toys and activities just the same as the other parent so is there anyway I can spend more towards my child rather then the other parent?
JA: How old is your child? What state does she live in?
Customer: she is 8 and I live in Alberta Canada but I just want general advice
JA: Is there an agreement for payment of child support?
Customer: Yes I have a court order to pay $250 per month and I spend that on fuel in one weekend just to access her I always pay on time and everything
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered by Debra in 7 hours 2 years ago
10+ years of experience

170372 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

10+ years of experience

170372 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

Debra, Expert

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.


Debra, Expert

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation Did you move away or did the other parent with whom she lives move away? When was the move?

When was the court order made and what is your gross annual income?

How long has this order been in place for?

I moved away because it was a small town of 5000 population with no opportunity and had 2 assualt charges against him. So I moved to a big city 2 hours away. I've had my court order since 2015 and I only make less then $1000 per month right now.

Debra, Expert

Unfortunately, because you moved away the court is not going to require the other the father to lose out on money. You are responsible for the access cost when you move away.

If your gross income is only $12,000 a month you don't pay any child support.

So you should be seeking to vary the court order reducing your amount of child support to zero for now.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer