My wife was just let go from an employer in Paw Paw Mi. She had told her supervisor last week she was considering going

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: my wife was just let go from an employer in Paw Paw Mi. She had told her supervisor last week she was considering going on short term disability for some health related issues she is having. She has an auto-immune condition and it's flaring up. She just received a great review within the last 3 weeks also. Is this legal or did they violate the law letting her go like that?
JA: Have they discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No. Not yet. Her supervisor met her out of the office to let her go
JA: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?
Customer: It's at will and salaried plus comission
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's the gist of the whole thing
Answered by attyadvisor in 5 mins 7 months ago
10+ years of experience

20284 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

20284 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
10+ years of experience

20284 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

attyadvisor, Expert

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I am Atty2 and it will be my pleasure to assist you. I have 32 years of experience and have been a certified Attorney on Just Answer since 2012.

Please be patient if I do not respond right away, I may be typing my responses or working on another customer’s answer. The site will generate an automatic option for a telephone call for you, in the meantime it will be my pleasure to work with you in this format.

Just Answer Is a general information site that does not create an Attorney/Client relationship with the Customers. I will do everything in my power to get you headed in the right direction.

I am sorry that this happened to your wife.

Based on what you stated it appears that she was let go based on her disability and under the law that is a wrongful termination.

Let me provide the link were she file a discrimination complaint against the employer as well as information on the process.

Thank you for your patience. 

That was kind of what I thought also and it was very unprofessional of them to have her drive there to be let go. They also said they will only pay her last 2 weeks if she bring back thr excess inventory at our house and all sales materials by Friday

attyadvisor, Expert

You are correct.

"Rights to Equal Employment Opportunity

A complaint may be filed if, for reasons of religion, race, color, national origin, genetic information, age, sex, marital status, height, weight, arrest record, or disability, a person has been:

  • refused employment
  • paid less money for equal work
  • harassed or subjected to unequal treatment on the job
  • denied membership in a labor organization
  • expelled from a labor organization
  • denied promotion
  • denied representation in a grievance
  • fired without just cause
  • denied admission to a training program

In employment, all jobs must be open to both men and women unless the employer proves that sex is a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ--see the Pre-Employment Inquiry Guide in the Publications section of our site). A woman may not be excluded legally from a job for any of these reasons:

  • assumption that women are unable or unwilling to do the work
  • preference of co-workers, employers, clients, or customers
  • the job has been traditionally restricted to men
  • the work involves heavy physical labor, manual dexterity, night hours, overtime, or work in isolated locations or unpleasant surroundings
  • the work involves travel, or travel with co-workers
  • physical facilities are not available for both sexes
  • the job requires personal characteristics (tact, charm, aggressiveness)..."

I can provide a link for local Attorneys that provide free consultations in the area that can personally assist her if that would be helpful? 


attyadvisor, Expert

"Complaints must be filed with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights within 180 days following the alleged act of discrimination. Complaints more than 180 days that do not also fall under federal jurisdiction may be filed in State Court within three years. Complaints may be filed in State Court without first filing with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.

Complaints of discrimination covered by Title VII of the US Civil Rights Act occurring over 180 days but less than 300 days in the past may be filed at either agency but will be handled only by the EEOC..."


attyadvisor, Expert

I hope you find this information helpful.

If I did not answer your question or if you have any further questions or need further information please do not hesitate to ask me. It will be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Thank you for using JA. We appreciate your business.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer