I live in a home in Barrie Ontario, i moved in February of 2018. February of 2019 i had my landlords come do a walk

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hello, i live in a home in Barrie Ontario, i moved in February of 2018. February of 2019 i had my landlords come do a walk through because of everything that was going wrong in our home and we had not met them as we had just delt with their landlord assistant but do to her assistant breaking our lease twice we informed them we just wanted to deal with them our actual landlords. They were rude when they came up and made comments on how they have never replaced the floors, they knew the windows were over 25 years old and had mold. I sent my landlord an email with all the house problems and my landlord did not respond to the email, instead emailed me a month later upping my rent as of july 1 2019 ( even tho are 1 year was feburary 2019) she did not have us sign anything. we ended up calling the city of barrie on her do to the fact we wanted our home to be fixed as she was not doing so, she refused to answer any of the citys calls and instead called me to ask why they were calling her as she informed me that she was in hong kong for 2 months so we got to talking and she sent us some money and started to fix things, fast forward to later in the year of 2019 and she dropped off the face of earth again so we called the city again and they came did a walk through the city filed a form for our landlords to start fixing things. fastforwad to 2020 part of the things were still being fixed from the citys list and then covid happened so everything had to be holted and then they had a realtor call us on may 1 2020 from a random barrie number didn’t leave me a voicemail, ended up talking to him on may 5 after he texted me telling me who was trying to call me, he told me we have to be out by july 1 2020 they would be giving us our last months rent back and we would not pay rent on june 1, because they are in a finacial distress and need to sell this house. we called the city and asked if they are allowed to do that since they have an open file with this house and they asked if we were served with any forms from the tenant board, no they have not served us with any forms and when we told them that they turned back and said it was just an option to be out by that date. they told us no for sale sign would be put in our lawn and one was put without our knowledge, our landlord finally emailed us on Friday June 12 telling us she is selling our rental unit it will be listed June 25 and she will give us 2000 to be out on or before sept 1.
my husband and I have put lots of our own money and hard work into this home and never been able to enjoy our time here.I would also like to know what I can do to asking when her windows were done in the home she lives in because we were given her address by her and my husband and I googled mapped it to see how bad their finacial distress is and inbetween 2016 and and 2018 they had re done the structure of the front of their home and got a huge window installed. Now I do understand that her windows were done a year before I had her come visit our rental unit her house but Ive been told by my neighbours that before my little family and I moved into this home they have never seen any work be done to it and we have pictures to prove that staements. Im really not trying to sound far fetch or anything but I literally have a landlord that is the definition of a slumloard, she has thrown in my face she doesn’t care what is fair and isn’t fair so I want to know what my rights are and what should I do? Like I have to answer her today about that 2000 dollars ive been trying to contact for help and I finally found you guys are you able to help me . I don’t want to loose out on that money as it will really help my family find a new place to live but at the same time we have spent thousands of dollars to live in this house ( she has had to fix the electrical / all leaking taps / like I said the windows all had mold in them/ my bathroom and attick have mold in them. So what advice can you give me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Barrie Ontario
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: what do you mean like we moved in feburary 2018 on a year lease and now we are month to month
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so i just really need help
Answered by Debra in 3 hours 2 years ago
10+ years of experience

170480 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

10+ years of experience

170480 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

Debra, Expert

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.


Debra, Expert

I'm sorry to see that sounds like you are in a difficult situation.

Are you asking about how to get the home repaired properly by your landlord?


Debra, Expert

In Ontario that laws that protects tenants is the Residential Tenancies Act.

The Act provides that it's the Landlord's responsibility to keep the home in good repair.

You may not withhold rent but have other options available to you. Before you exercise these options you have to make your requests to the Landlord in writing.

After that one option is to call the government agency that enforces housing by-laws and regulations if you feel these are being breached.

You can call 611.

At the same time you can file a complaint with the Landlord Tenant Board.

Here is a link to the form you will need to do this:


Use T6

You will note that on this form you can ask for a rent abatement, or to pay some of the rent to the Board until the repairs are done. You can also ask to do the repairs and get paid back or have the landlord do them.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.


Debra, Expert

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer