My brother-in-law and I want to open a restaurant in Toronto. I live currently in Toronto but he does not live here. I

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hello, My brother-in-law and I want to open a restaurant in Toronto. I live currently in Toronto but he does not live here. I need his expertise as he has more than 15 years in 5-star hotels. Can I open the business in partnership with him and get him a residency or work visa?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?
Customer: None,
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no, we do not know what visa to get
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered by Debra in 1 hour 2 years ago
10+ years of experience

168272 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

10+ years of experience

168272 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

Debra, Expert

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.


Debra, Expert

You could start a business and then given him an offer of employment. That could get him a work permit.

Then he can move to Canada to work.

You will have to apply to the government for what is called a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). What this entails is the government reviewing the job market to ensure that there is a shortage of Canadians or permanent residents to fill this job. Your brother-in-law cannot take a job away from a Canadian/permanent resident. So, he has to have a skill, or work experience, in an area where Canada needs workers and there aren't enough Canadians who have that skill or work experience.

If that's the case then the government will give you, the employer, a positive LMIA.

Then your brother-in-law can apply for the work permit.

He will need to prove his credentials and also need to undergo background, medical and criminal checks.

Here's the webpages that has all the information you both will need including the forms and information about the fees:

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.


Debra, Expert

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Thanks for the reply. I have a few follow up questions:
Does the work visa allows him to enroll in OHIP ?
How long does the process usually take ?
Can I do the LMIA application before starting the business ? The rationale is that I will not trust another chef and I cannot run a restaurant alone. He is the expert.

Debra, Expert

Yes he can get OHIP:

The work permit will take a month or so but the LMIA will take a few months most likely.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer