I would like to apply for an intervention order on behalf of my 15 year old daughter against someone she met online. I'm

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi, I would like to apply for an intervention order on behalf of my 15 year old daughter against someone she met online. I'm not sure if I apply for the Personal Safety Intervention Order or the Family Violence Intervention order?
JA: Was a protective order issued? What were the basic terms?
Customer: No, my daughter ran away from home and met up with this person. From what I have been led to believe there may have been sexual relations between them. She is 15 and we believe is nearly 19 or 19.
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there ongoing abuse or harassment? Were the police called?
Customer: Not that we are aware of as we located and collected her last night and brought her home to stay with a family member. Police & DHS were involved. Police just said I can start the process online and I am unsure which form to complete.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. We just want to protect our daughter from further interaction with him as we do not know him and fear for her safety.
Answered by John Melis in 5 mins 10 months ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

74458 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

74458 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hello, I’m John Melis, a solicitor in Australia, and I’ll be helping you with your question today.

​You may apply for a restraining order.

Restraining orders apply to various matters; such as violence, psychological abuse, financial abuse, verbal abuse, or an imminent fear of violence, or where children hear or witness the same.

The restraining order may:

a. Prohibit a person committing violence against another person.

b. Exclude a person from the victim’s residence.

c. Restrict a person’s access to any premises or specified are, such as the workplace.

d. Prohibit a person from contacting another person associated with the victim.

e. Require a person to do something, like attend counselling.

f. Direct person to use a specific property.

g. To stop stalking, intimidation or harassing conduct.

If you need a restraining order, you may attend your local police station, and they will determine if an order will be issued.

You may make an application at the local Court for a restraining order where the police do not issue one.

Does this help with your question today?

Not really as I'm trying to determine if I apply for a Personal Safety Intervention Order or a Family Violence Intervention order. I'm in Victoria and was having trouble understanding which form to complete.

John Melis, Expert

If you are concerned for your safety, or that of another person, you are in titled to apply for a personal safety order on behalf of your daughter.
Thank you for your assistance.

John Melis, Expert

It was my pleasure to help you today, and I thank you for chatting with me.
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer