I have a question with the new Tenancy Laws. I have been paying excessive energy usage due to a 1960's gravity fed hot

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi Pearl I have a question with the new Tenancy Laws. I have been paying excessive energy usage due to a 1960's gravity fed hot water service that the owner won't change. At the beginning of my tenancy the bills were anywhere up to $700- $800.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Victoria
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the agent at the beginning of my lease 3 years ago and then the new Laws came into affect this year I have also contacted the agent and I have email trails. They have provided an energy person to check the elelctricity howver, they did not check the Hot water Service because it was in the roof. The excuse was it was an occupational health and safety issue.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes. This is what I emailed the agent on FridayHi AthenaI am still trying to get through to the Tenancies Board, however it looks like they are inundated with emails and phone call’s due to COVID.Once I am able to, I will be raising with them:1. The fact that the Gravity Fed Hot Water Service (which is a fitting) was not checked and this was confirmed by yourself that this particular company, due to Occupational reasons they were not able to get into the roof.
I am sure someone is able to get into the roof to provide this information.2. As already discussed, my electricity bills are double than what they should be. I have advised that this is not due to the usage of the air conditioner’s as 2 don’t work and I also have evidence that my electricity usage during the summer months was less than now.
The reason for this is the 1960’s Gravity Fed Hot Water system does not have to heat as much during summer as it does during winter (it uses more energy to heat the water during the colder months). Therefore it cannot be the Air Conditioner’s.You also suggested that we are using more than normal water. This is incorrect as I have checked our water usage and it has not changed from bill to bill since we moved here.3. I will also be raising the fact that the Hot Water Services does not have an “energy Rating of 3 star’s plus” my bills are double than what they should be and this is not being addressed.4. If the owner does not feel he should change the Hot Water Service, then I believe I am entitled to be compensated for the excessive energy bills each month. I too have a family to feed and clothe.
Answered by John Melis in 57 mins 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

73060 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
73060 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

73060 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi! My name is***** a solicitor in Australia, and I’m happy to help you.

If you're having trouble with the tenancy board, what you can do is raise proceedings immediately in the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal.

​The Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal “VCAT” is perfect for meditating disputes.

The tribunal helps parties resolve the issues in question.

The mediation will resolve the matter in most cases.

You access the application form under the forms tab of the tribunal website.

The following link will assist you further:


The tribunal has help menus. The help menus will assist you in filling out the application.

The tribunal will send you an email after applying. That email will explain the next steps.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer