We are having difficulty seeing our grandsons. Our son passed away June, 2019 and now his ex wife is making it difficult

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: we are having difficulty seeing our grandsons. Our son passed away June, 2019 and now his ex wife is making it difficult for us to see the boys, who are 14 and almost 13. I have been to relationship Australia and have told me if was not likely mediation would be of help. Obviously the boys mother wouldn't agree. I have the certificate stating this. Michael had separated from his ex wife three years before he passed, I am wondering if we would be entitled to legal aid. My husband and I are both over 70, Max is on the age pension and I am on the disability support pension. My husband has had two strokes and now Parkinson's so there is no guarantee he will be around when the boys are of age
JA: Were any of the assets acquired before the marriage? Or given through an inheritance?
Customer: the estate is almost settled; The house was left to his ex and two boys. If the house sold (which is has been) the boys share is to be held in trust with the mother as trustee. Anything else from the estate for the boys is held in trust for them with my self and their older half brother as trustees
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: the house was heavily in arrears so our son paid it out when he was able to claim some of his super
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no. but I shouldn't have started this conversation just yet because I have to go out shortly. can I have a reference number so as to continue this conversation later
Answered by John Melis in 1 hour 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

74726 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

74726 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hello, I’m John Melis, a solicitor in Australia, and I’ll be helping you with your question today.

I am sorry for the loss of your son.

You are entitled to legal aid.

​Grandparents are entitled to apply for parenting orders under s 65C of the Family Law Act, which provides:

Whilst grandparents specifically have standing to make an application under the Family Law Act; it does not automatically mean orders will be granted.

As with any parenting order, the court will always consider an application by the grandparents through the prism of what is in the child’s best interests.

You may start the process with mediation through relationships Australia.

The alternative is to commence proceedings in the family court.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer