My son has been under a Mental health specialist for aprox 8 months suffering depression. He was prescribed new

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: My son has been under a Mental health specialist for aprox 8 months suffering depression. He was prescribed new medication at Christmas which has resulted in him now suffering sever manic episode. During the last month, he has gone on a huge spending spree and entered into a lease for an office block. His business does not warrent the offices and was a result of his mental state of unrealistic business ideas. The lease was signed on 8th March and he was admitted as an inpatient at a local Mental Health unit on 12th March - only being in the offices for 5 days. We immediately contacted the estate agent to advise of the situation and that he could not continue with the lease. He simply does not have any further money and is now looking at loosing his $6600 security bond (total paid for bond and advance was $9990). We have received letters from mental health stating he is not capable of making financial decisions but they are telling us that he will not receive any funds back. They have admitted that they did not want to rent to him at the time and only did so as he had the bond upfront. The landlord is a Dr of whom we would have thought would understand this terrible disease. He is going to potentially be in hospital for up to 2-3 months with no source of income (as he is a personal trainer). Our biggest fear is that when he is well again and realizes that he has lost all of his savings that he may become depressed again and consider suicide. Is there any legal loophole that covers mental health? We are desperate.
JA: What state is your son in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Queensland
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: We have contacted real estate and landlord
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't know
Answered by John Melis in 2 mins 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72962 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
72962 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72962 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi! You’re speaking with John Melis, a solicitor in Australia.

Your son will have a potential claim of discrimination. On that basis, your son would be able to sue for compensation against the other party.

Additionally, your son is entitled to the full bond back.

The Queensland Civil Administrative Tribunal "QCAT" is perfect for meditating disputes. It brings parties together to discuss the issues involved.

In most cases, the matter will settle.

You can download the application from the tribunal website.

The following link will assist you further:

You draft the complaint in numbered order, detailing the issue and what action you have taken to rectify the matter.

There are help menus on the website that will help you complete the application.

After you lodge your application, you will receive an email from the tribunal with the next steps to action.

​If there is anything else, big or small, that I can help you with today, please let me know.

I thank you for reaching out today.

Thank you for your advice. We will fill in application as suggested. How successful do you think this will be. Is the discrimination claim over and above contacting QCAT. Is it discrimination for mental health. At this stage my son is still in the Manic episode and still very delusional
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer