My grand daughter has been in my care for 3 years in May. Welfare closed the case as she was not in risk of danger with

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: My grand daughter has been in my care for 3 years in May. Welfare closed the case as she was not in risk of danger with me. Her mother has now had another child and in another relationship for 2 months. She went to rehab for 6 weeks last sept prior to baby being born in October. I sought legal advice and they told me not to
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: let her out of supervision Still doing affidavits
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: nsw
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Her mother has told me she is coming to take her.
Answered by John Melis in 39 mins 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

75934 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

75934 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi! My name is***** a solicitor in Australia, and I’m happy to help you.

You will be able to stop the mother from taking the child based on your current guardianship. If you have any issues, you should apply immediately in court.

Grandparents are entitled to apply for parenting orders under s 65C of the Family Law Act, which provides:

Whilst grandparents specifically have standing to make an application under the Family Law Act; it does not automatically mean orders will be granted.

As with any parenting order, the court will always consider an application by the grandparents through the prism of what is in the child’s best interests.

You may start the process with mediation through relationships Australia.

The alternative is to commence proceedings in the family court.

​I can hear your concern and your voice, and if you follow the steps I’ve suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer