Wendy here. We have a rental property my daughter lives in. We have a man living in the sleepout behind the house. There

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi. Wendy here. We have a rental property my daughter lives in. We have a man living in the sleepout behind the house. There is no formal tenancy agreement. Verbally he is meant to pay $200 a week rent and $50 a week towards the shared utilities. We asked him to leave as we were going to be renovating and demolishing where he lives. He agreed to be out by end of Feb but a couple of days before he informed my daughter he wasn't going and nothing we could do about it because of Covid. There has been a history of unauthorised people staying with him in the property for varying lengths of time and police have attended after violence occurred. He has become rude and aggressive towards my daughter to the extent that her and her 13 year old are now staying with friends. He has not paid anything for over a month. How can we get him out?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Sorry we are in Melbourne victoria
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: There is no lease
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that pretty well cover it. we want him gone so my daughter can move back to her home. We will not be reletting the space he occupies.
Answered by John Melis in 7 mins 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

75850 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

75850 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hello, I’m John Melis, a solicitor in Australia, and I’ll be helping you with your question today.

You may apply for a restraining order to protect your self here.

Restraining orders apply to various matters; such as violence, psychological abuse, financial abuse, verbal abuse, or an imminent fear of violence, or where children hear or witness the same.

The restraining order may:

a. Prohibit a person committing violence against another person.

b. Exclude a person from the victim’s residence.

c. Restrict a person’s access to any premises or specified are, such as the workplace.

d. Prohibit a person from contacting another person associated with the victim.

e. Require a person to do something, like attend counselling.

f. Direct person to use a specific property.

g. To stop stalking, intimidation or harassing conduct.

If you need a restraining order, you may attend your local police station, and they will determine if an order will be issued.

You may make an application at the local Court for a restraining order where the police do not issue one.

I know you put so much time and effort into this, and if you follow the steps as suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

If there is anything else, please let me know.

Thanks but my question is "How can we evict him from the property?"

John Melis, Expert

You can use the restraining order to have that person evicted quickly.You can also go to the tribunal VCAT to get an Order fro their removal as well.You’re handling this matter very well.If there is anything else, big or small, that I can help you with today, please let me know?
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer