Thanks for your earlier response but I'm not concerned for my physical safety. My concern is that my 85yo partner has

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Thanks for your earlier response but I'm not concerned for my physical safety. My concern is that my 85yo partner has been diagnosed with alzhiemers and early signs of dementia and i fear i'll lose my home if and/or when she can no longer be cared for at home.
We've been together ~15yrs, and~6yrs ago moved to share a house with her adult son, who lives in the front part of a large house in which i rent a room. i also have access to a large double garage in which I've conducted experiments associated with a long-term research project that I consider to be of truly global significance.
I'm 79 and my partner and I no longer have a physical relationship but I've been her designated carer for ~5 years, as she also has Macular degeneration and Parkinsons.
Arthur, Irenas son has been working from home during Covid and has pointedly taken over most of what i saw as my responsibilities and duties as her carer, although she is still able to mostly care for herself. We also have home help 3 days a week.
I need advice on my rights, as Arthur has become increasing non-comunicative and petulant and has indicated he wants to sell up as soon as his mother can no longer be cared for at home.
Irena and I still have a caring relationship but, having been married twice b4, I've resisted marriage with her despite her asking me to, on repeated occasions.
Although my general health is now good, I've had major problems in the past with arthritis and other health issues and am still only able to stand unaided for 2-3 minutes, and I mainly get around on a mobility scooter.
I hope this gives you an better idea of my issues and hope you can advise on my best approach. I'm entirely dependent on my pension but have managed to save ~10k. I would like, if possible, to stay in the home. I understand that, when she dies, Irena wants me to have all the money she has saved from my rent over time we've been together but have so far refused discuss the matter with her, as I didnt want to seem to be challenging Arthur's inheritance. In the past Arthur had said he'd look after me but that situation has clearly changed. Any advice?
I do have a son ~60km away, but he is unable to help
Answered by John Melis in 1 min 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

75850 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

75850 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hello, I am John Melis, a solicitor in Australia, and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.You may apply for a restraining order.Restraining orders apply to various matters; such as violence, psychological abuse, financial abuse, verbal abuse, or an imminent fear of violence, or where children hear or witness the same.The restraining order may:a. Prohibit a person committing violence against another person.b. Exclude a person from the victim’s residence.c. Restrict a person’s access to any premises or specified are, such as the workplace.d. Prohibit a person from contacting another person associated with the victim.e. Require a person to do something, like attend counselling.f. Direct person to use a specific property.g. To stop stalking, intimidation or harassing conduct.If you need a restraining order, you may attend your local police station, and they will determine if an order will be issued.You may make an application at the local Court for a restraining order where the police do not issue one.Let me know how you go with this restraining order process.I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer