At Christmas time my wife 2 children and myself book and paid for accommodation through for what we through

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: At Christmas time my wife 2 children and myself book and paid for accommodation through for what we through was 5 star accommodation only to get there and find out that it was cockroach infested and cockroach excrement everywhere, I have pictures to prove this ,on the third morning I rang the owner (boxing day) and said I was going to call yesterday but I didint want to ruin her Christmas and explained what the problem was, the owner said in a text that she would reimburse 2 nights , then the owner stopped retucalls and texts and has kept the 2 nights accommodation, I went to fair trading over this because what was online was not what we got, since then the owner replied to fair traiding stating we stole stuff and left the place a mess ,all we did was leave cupboards open and a bed pushed across the room so she could see the rubbish and cockroach excrement thats was over everything, the owner has accused me of almost harassment witch is a lie as I have all communications backed up on usb with pictures and the owners statement to fair traiding where she has lied her face off zo now I need to see what legal action I can take
JA: I don't remember all the details now but it was places to check for a loose connection. I found it and that fixed the problem. What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Qld
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Fair traiding and Queensland fire and rescue because none of the smole alarms worked
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Connect me please
Answered by John Melis in 1 hour 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

74426 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

74426 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I am John Melis, the solicitor. I am in Australia. I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today.

Hopefully, together we can find the right path for you. May I suggest the following for your consideration?

​The first step is to consider the terms and conditions, including those online.

If the agency or third-party is not acting appropriately with refunds or changes to bookings, you may raise a misleading conduct claim.

The Australian consumer law will protect you under the consumer guarantees that apply to all Australians.

May I suggest that you issue a formal complaint in writing to the other party, seeking an assessment/review on the matter and that you require a response within 7 to 14 days subject to your requirements!

Enclosed in this correspondence copies of the terms and conditions of the policy.

Where no response is received, you can then raise a claim in the Tribunal or Court for compensation (refund of your money).

​I can hear your concern and your voice, and if you follow the steps I’ve suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer