My son is 23 this month and has his full license. While on his P2's he was working in Mount Gambier. He had dinner at

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: My son is 23 this month and has his full license. While on his P2's he was working in Mount Gambier. He had dinner at the local Hotel and upon leaving he got into his car, drove around the carpark and decided it would be best to leave his car there. As soon as he got out of his car a police officer approached him and he was asked to take a breath test. His result was just over. He went to court and had a 2 month extension to his P2's. He did try to do the right thing.
JA: What state is your son in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry I'm still going..... He has had his full license for around a year and this happened. He had a night out and decided to leave his car on the road. Had a friend drive him to get it the next day but an officer pulled him over and he was just over again. He tried to do the right thing. He now has to go to court again and I was wondering whether he should have a lawyer to help represent him. What do you think? Kim
JA: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: None yet. He's very worried. So am I
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We live in South Australia
Answered by John Melis in 2 hours 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72962 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
72962 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72962 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I am John Melis, the solicitor. I am in Australia. I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today.

Hopefully, together we can find the right path for you. May I suggest the following for your consideration?

Your son will be able to protect his licence on the following points below:

​There are various defences that you can raise.

Some of these defences include sudden emergency, provocation by another driver, road conditions, psychological stresses, mental health and so on.

One of the main supporting factors in running your defence is to obtain three affidavits in support of your position.

The affidavit should detail that the person who signs it, is aware of the penalty against you.

Usually, when a traffic event happens, there is always a reason. You can reduce the penalty or have it entirely withdrawn by providing supporting reports on the road incident through a traffic engineer.

Consider some or all of the following points as well.

(a) Offence complete and established in accordance with the standard points of proof;

(b) Admission of offence;

(c) Good driving record as defined;

(d) Poor driving record as defined;

(e) Type of road - dual / divided;

(f) Location (residential / industrial / school / intersection);

(g) Time of day;

(h) Traffic density at time of detection;

(i) Speed zone (e.g. 40 km/h school zone);

(j) Weather conditions;

(k) Safety related offence as defined; and

(l) Previous convictions in the past ten (10) years

Many traffic incidents are defended well.

Would you like to consider this option?

​I can hear your concern and your voice, and if you follow the steps I’ve suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer