I am having difficulty getting approval from my body Corp to put in a split system air conditioner to make heating and

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I am having difficulty getting approval from my body Corp to put in a split system air conditioner to make heating and cooling more efficient in my unit. I need to place outside unit against my wall which I part of common land.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I initially started to install but had to stop then I went to body Corp management to ask for permission. That was January 7th and I have not had a very positive experience
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Yarrawonga part of a 6 townhouse complex.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have opposition from mainly 2 owners who Have been difficult with me because I choose to do short term rentals. I have a minimum of renters and never had any issues
Answered by John Melis in 15 mins 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

75878 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

75878 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John Melis, solicitor, and I am in Australia. I know you have a lot of choices, and there are various ways to move forward. May I suggest that you consider the following steps:

If you cannot have the body corporate work with you, you can raise proceedings immediately in the tribunal to have this rectified. You are entitled to have a split system air-conditioner in your property.

Would you like to consider this option?

​The State Tribunal is perfect for mediating disputes.

The document you file in the tribunal is the points of claim. You can download this from the tribunal website.

Draft the complaint in a chronological order detailing the issue. I suggest that you also say what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

You can run your case yourself.

There are help menus on the tribunal website that you can use to assist you with the application and process.

Once you lodge your application, you will receive notice from the tribunal with the next steps to follow.

I can hear your concern and your voice, and if you follow the steps I’ve suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

How long should I be waiting for this general meeting to occur. If conversations have already been held it sounds like a done deal by certain owners.

John Melis, Expert

The meeting should occur within 30 days.I thank you for raising your question on Just Answer.If there is anything else, big or small, that I can help you with today, please let me know.
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer