I bought a ticket to the ICC T20 World Cup last year - event was cancelled, they offered refunds, but unfort I had

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi there - I bought a ticket to the ICC T20 World Cup last year - event was cancelled, they offered refunds, but unfort I had bought the ticket using my previous bank account so didn't receive the refund. I have tried to contact them a number of times, but they didn 't return my messages. Now they tell me that the period available for refunds has now expired - is there anything I can do?
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: In Victoria, and purchase was made in 2019 (I'd have to check which month), but the event was scheduled for November last year, but cancelled in about April-May
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer?
Customer: Yes I've used their email service on at least two occasions but have received no reply - and I can't seem to contact them any other way
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'll just get the date of the purchase if you think relevant?
Answered by John Melis in 1 hour 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72836 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
72836 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72836 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John Melis, solicitor, and I am in Australia. I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. I’ve had something like this happen before. I know how frustrating it can feel. May I suggest the following for you!

You will be able to raise a claim under the Australian consumer law for misleading or deceptive conduct.

I suggest that you send a demand notice, and where that fails, commence proceedings in the tribunal.

The Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal “VCAT” is perfect for meditating disputes. It forces the parties to come together to discuss the issues involved.

In most cases at mediation, the matter will settle.

The document you file in the tribunal is the points of claim.

Draft the complaint chronologically, detailing the issue and what action you have taken to rectify the matter.

The following link will assist you further:


There are various help menus on the website that will assist you in finalising the application.

Once you lodge your application, you will receive notice from the tribunal with the next steps to follow.

Would you like to consider this option?

​I know you put so much time and effort into this, and if you follow the steps as suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

If there is anything else, please let me know.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer