ON July 12, 2020 I made a booking with Emirates Airlines to travel from Cairo to Sydney via Dubai and returning on

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: ON July 12, 2020 I made a booking with Emirates Airlines to travel from Cairo to Sydney via Dubai and returning on February 14, 2021.. on September 01, 2020 I realized without notice that my booking was cancelled. When I called Emirates Office in Cairo they could not help me, so I called their office in Dubai and after speaking wit a Supervisor I was told that my booking was randomly cancelled due to flight restriction by the Australian Government that they have limited 350 passengers worldwide to arrive Sydney International Airport. I was offered a seat on November 17, 2020.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: NSW
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer?
Customer: yes I contacted the Airline
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: sure, the duty of care of the airline I believe they supposedly gave me a seat even if they upgraded me to business or first class
Answered by John Melis in 1 hour 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

77516 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
77516 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

77516 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Thank you for reaching out today. I appreciate your matter is urgent. My name is***** solicitor, and I am in Australia. You will be able to resolve this issue. I suggest as a first attempt that you try mediation. You can do mediation without the assistance of a lawyer. If you still can't get the matter resolved by communication, then engage a lawyer to help you communicate on your behalf.

I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today.

Hahahaha. What a waste of $5 time get such an answer. Thank you for your advice

John Melis, Expert

The first step is to consider the terms and conditions, including those online.

If the agency or third-party is not acting appropriately with refunds or changes to bookings, you may raise a misleading conduct claim.

Customers have a set of consumer guarantees when purchasing most products or services.

The consumer is entitled to protection under the Australian Consumer Law. If the business fails, it gives rise to a claim.

Certain signs are unlawful, such as:

• ‘No refunds’

• ‘No refunds on sale items.’

• ‘Exchange or credit note only for the return of sale items’.

Consumer guarantees apply regardless of whether an item is on sale.

If the customer has changed their mind, the seller does not have to refund. However, if the seller has the policy to offer a refund, exchange or credit note if a customer changes their mind, this policy should be displayed at the point of sale.

Business cannot:

1. not mislead customers, including about what the customer is entitled to under their terms and conditions;

2. not act unconscionably, when dealing with their customers;

3. not seek to rely on unfair terms in standard form contracts with customers.

What you need to do is issue a formal complaint in writing to the other party, seeking an assessment/review on the matter, and that you require a response within 7 to 14 days subject to your requirements.

Make sure you enclose the evidence you have on the case.

When you draft this correspondence, prepare it in chronological order.

Where no response is received and reviewed the conditions, you can then raise a claim in the Tribunal or Court.

Your satisfaction means everything to us.

I thank you for reaching out today, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.


John Melis, Expert

Respectfully, I'm trying to help you with your question, and if you follow the steps I've raised above this will give you the best chance to get your money back.

I kindly request that you refresh your screen and click five stars as this helps me support the community and your questions.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer