I live in an over 50’s village. I paid cash to a handyman who lives in the same village to paint the driveway of our

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I live in an over 50’s village. I paid cash to a handyman who lives in the same village to paint the driveway of our home which he has done for others. Several spots lifted off initially with hot car tyres (that he said wouldn’t happen)
JA: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live on the Gold Coast.Continuing the story above, he tried patching the spots but although the paint remained in place, the colour didn’t match, and this together with other blemishes has left the driveway looking unsightly. He said he would repaint the entire surface, but is now saying he won’t do so. Is there anyway I can hold him responsible to repaint as he originally said he would?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None to date. Just argued with him.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The story and background is a lot longer but the above remarks give a reasonable summary. Is this a free service or do charges apply ?
Answered by John Melis in 5 mins 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79040 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
79040 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79040 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John Melis, solicitor, and I am in Australia. I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. Your question means a lot to me. If I were in your position, I would feel just as you do. I’m so glad you contacted us about your situation. I will give you a direction to consider moving forward. I know you’ve spent a lot of time on this already. Your patience here has been so important. If I understand you correctly I suggest the following:

​You can seek a resolution and claim compensation.

Issue a formal complaint in writing. Request a review on the matter.

Include a time limit of 7 to 14 days subject to your requirements for a reply.

Make sure you enclose all evidence with the correspondence.

When you draft this correspondence, use a number for each point.

Where no response is received and you have reviewed the conditions carefully on any agreement, and you are still not satisfied with the situation, you can then raise a claim in the Tribunal or Court.

I suggest you file a claim as soon as possible if the matter does not resolve.

​The State Tribunal is perfect for mediating disputes. It forces the parties to come together to discuss the issues involved.

In most cases at mediation, the matter will settle.

You will be the Applicant. The other party is the Respondent.

The document you file in the tribunal is the points of claim. This correspondence needs careful preparation. I recommend you download the application first and complete the same. Then upload as required to commence the lawsuit.

Draft the complaint in a chronological order detailing the issue. I suggest that you also say what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The alternative is to apply to the local court. You recover your legal fees when you run your case through the court system.

You can run your case or consider the option of using a lawyer to help.

On the tribunal (and court) website, there are help menus that you can use to assist you with the application and process.

I suggest that you make sure you have all your evidence for the case ready before your file the application.

Once you lodge your application, you will receive notice from the tribunal (or court) with the next steps to follow.

I know it isn't easy to deal with issues like this, but you're handling it so well.

I can hear your concern and your voice, and if you follow the steps I've suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

I know you have a lot of choices, and there are various ways to move forward.

If there is anything else, big or small, that I can help you with today, please let me know?

I am so glad you contacted us, and I thank you for reaching out today.

Don't forget to accept the answer and click five stars in support of the community.

Thanks for your helpful comments. I will think about my options.

John Melis, Expert

Your satisfaction means everything to us.I thank you for reaching out today, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer