I recently called a plumber about 10 am to fix a leaking water pipe. I had to pay $130 call out fee. The plumber arrived

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I recently called a plumber about 10 am to fix a leaking water pipe. I had to pay $130 call out fee. The plumber arrived at 6pm and quoted $800. I agreed to pay the quote bec ause I thought it must have been a huge job. However the job turned out to be a replacement of 20cm of piping and took 35 minutes (including time spent on the toilet). I complained to the company manager and he said that all water leaking job cost the same no mater how long it took. I think lthis is an unfair pricing practice as it appears that people with samlljobs are subsidizing larger jobs. What can I so about this?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Western Australia. No, I have no advocate of this time.
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered by John Melis in 1 hour 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

77460 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
77460 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

77460 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John Melis, solicitor, and I am in Australia. I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. Your question means a lot to me. If I were in your position, I would feel just as you do. I’m so glad you contacted us about your situation. I will give you a direction to consider moving forward. I know you’ve spent a lot of time on this already. Your patients here has been so important. If I understand you correctly I suggest the following:

​You can seek a resolution and claim compensation.

Issue a formal complaint in writing. Request a review on the matter.

Include a time limit of 7 to 14 days subject to your requirements for a reply.

Make sure you enclose all evidence with the correspondence.

When you draft this correspondence, use a number for each point.

Where no response is received and you have reviewed the conditions carefully on any agreement, and you are still not satisfied with the situation, you can then raise a claim in the Tribunal or Court.

I suggest you file a claim as soon as possible if the matter does not resolve.

​You may lodge a claim in the court.

You need to first write a formal complaint to the other party. This complaint needs to be in a numbered order detailing the issue and what action you have taken to rectify the matter. Send this complaint to the other party by email with a time limit to reply.

If mediation does not occur, commence court action.

The court's website has a forms section, which you can download the documents to commence the claim against that other party. There are practice notes on the court's website. There are various resources also, which you could utilise to aid you in completing the claim form.

Once you have submitted the claim form into the court, then you must serve the documents on to the other party.

You will receive email communications from the court, and you need to review these communications carefully, as they give you instructions on what to do next.

You can run your case in this particular matter, as this will avoid legal fees. The alternative is to engage a local lawyer to help you prepare the claim and then pursue the legal costs against the other party.

The best outcome is to try and mediate it amicably, and the court should be a last resort.

I know it isn't easy to deal with issues like this, but you're handling it so well.

I can hear your concern and your voice, and if you follow the steps I've suggested above, it will give you a direction to go.

I know you have a lot of choices, and there are various ways to move forward.

If there is anything else, big or small, that I can help you with today, please let me know?

I am so glad you contacted us, and I thank you for reaching out today.

Don't forget to accept the answer and click five stars in support of the community.

Dear *****
Thank you for your reply. This case has got worse since I wrote to you and I feel so devastated that big companies like this can walk all over you. I did phone them and tried to explain my side of this but was shouted down by the manager. Looking again at the invoice they sent me I noticed that they charged me again for the initial call out fee as well as GST of $92 that I assumed would have been in the initial quote. So from $800 quoted the invoice was $1012. The Manager said he would reimburse the call out fee, but seeing as I have been charged charged twice that is not helping at all. I asked him to send me an itemised invoice and he said he would do that, but I have not received it yet. I wonder, can you charge GST on a call out fee. The numbers don't add up.

John Melis, Expert

Jan, I understand how you feel

If you need we can talk on the phone if you required.

I really appreciate your patience as we’ve gone through all of this. If I missed something or you’ve got additional questions, let me know. Otherwise, have an excellent rest of your week.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer