My x partners mother has my kids and there is no court order in place at the moment, I tryed to pick up my daughter from

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi my x partners mother has my kids and there is no court order in place at the moment, I tryed to pick up my daughter from kinder and they wont let me
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Trying to get legal aid
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Victoria
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just wanted to get my daughter
Answered by John Melis in 15 mins 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

77542 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
77542 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

77542 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John Melis, solicitor, and I am in Australia. I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. Your question means a lot to me. If I were in your position, I would feel just as you do. If I understand you correctly I suggest the following:

Parenting can be resolved amicably without court proceedings through family mediation with a counsellor or lawyer.

The Family Relationship Centre is an excellent option. You will be able to mediate the process without a lawyer. You can control the situation in the way you require for the protection and best interest of your child.

The Court assumes equal responsibility for the care and provision of children. However, various factors will influence this assumption. Factors include the current care arrangements for the child, finances, drug use, moral issues and criminal behaviour.

Despite the strong emphasis given to shared parental responsibility after separation, the paramount consideration of the Court remains the best interests of the child. Shared parenting outcomes are desirable, indeed preferable, but only where this is consistent with the best interests of the child.

There is a presumption that “equal shared parental responsibility” is in the best interests of children. An order made for equal shared parental responsibility imposes an obligation on the Court to consider ordering “equal time” or “substantial and significant time”.

Where the Court issues an order for shared parental responsibility, it imposes on parents an obligation to consult on “long-term issues”.

Long-term issues are defined explicitly in the Family Law Act to include matters such as health, religion, education, change of name and changes to living arrangements that make it significantly more difficult for the child to spend time with the parent.

The Court must also consider whether each parent has in the past fulfilled their responsibilities as a parent.

Parents can come to an agreement between themselves about their children’s care post-separation, without involving any court process. This agreement is a “parenting plan”. Because it is developed and agreed between both parents, there is no need for the Court’s involvement; it is an informal agreement.

A parenting plan will generally be more successful where there is a high degree of cooperation and low conflict between the parents.

Parents are free to alter the terms of the parenting plans whenever they wish. For example, where the child starts school and arrangements for the school holidays need to be made. In this way, parenting plans provide flexibility.

The parties to a parenting plan will generally be the parents of the child but could include other persons such as grandparents or step-parents who are involved in the care, welfare and development of that child.

The Family Law Act 1975 encourages parties to settle family disputes and to use litigation in the court system only as a last resort.

​I thank you kindly for reaching out today.

I appreciate your assistance with a rating of five stars, as this helps me support the community.

If there is anything else, big or small, that I can help you with today, please let me know?

Can I go pick up my daughter from kinder because no orders in place

John Melis, Expert

you can.
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer