Can a carer (in receipt of a carer's payment) be appointed as a power of attorney to an elder person. Not sure, but I

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: can a carer (in receipt of a carer's payment) be appointed as a power of attorney to an elder person
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: not sure, but I was made enduring P of A by my sister to act on her behalf 17 yrs ago. i have looked at the doc,s in my possesion and they state that a person who is a carer for my sister cannot hold a Pof A and must revoke all powers due to a possible conflict
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: i am in victoria but my sister is in caboolture
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered by John Melis in 27 mins 1 year ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72976 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
72976 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72976 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John Melis, solicitor, and I am in Australia. I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. Your question means a lot to me. If I were in your position, I would feel just as you do. If I understand you correctly I suggest the following:

You can resolve the issue by applying to the Enduring Guardianship Division of the State Tribunal.

You may apply to be the guardian or changes to the current circumstance concerning the person with the power.

The guardian protects the person's needs and interests by making personal and health care decisions on their behalf when they have impaired decision-making capacity.

The tribunal has the power to appoint or remove a guardian.

The guardian's authority may include making decisions for the adult, such as:

* where they live;

* what support services they receive;

* with whom they have contact or visits;

* general health care matters;

* the approval of containment and seclusion in certain limited circumstances;

* the permission of chemical, physical or mechanical restraint;

* restricting access to objects;

* other day-to-day issues.

Guardians are not permitted to make decisions about:

* financial or property matters unless they have also been appointed as the adult's administrator or as an attorney for financial affairs under an enduring power of attorney;

* particular health care matters including sterilisation or tissue donation;

* particular personal issues, including making or revoking a will, consenting to marriage or relinquishing a child for adoption.

If an adult can communicate their views and wishes, guardians should take these into account when making any decisions.

The tribunal process is perfect for meditating disputes, as it brings the parties together to discuss the issues.

In most cases, the matter settles at mediation.

In the proceedings, you are the Applicant and the other party the Respondent.

You apply online with the tribunal.

When you explain the situation in the application form, type out the points in a numbered order, detailing the history.

The tribunal website has excellent resources to assist you.

If needed, you may reach out to legal aid or your local lawyer.

​I thank you kindly for reaching out today.

I appreciate your assistance with a rating of five stars, as this helps me support the community.

If there is anything else, big or small, that I can help you with today, please let me know?

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer