I am a grandfather of a small girl who lives with me most of the time, say 90%. The mother is my daughter and has

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I am a grandfather of a small girl who lives with me most of the time, say 90%. The mother is my daughter and has constantly been involved with the child, they are no longer together. The father has visited the child 2 times in the last 5 months and the child is visibly frightened of him. He has been violent since the beginning and welfare has documented that. Can I or my daughter and I get something in place to stop him visiting or under controlled circumstances
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Nil My daughter still seems very frightened of him also
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Qld
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is not an Australian citizen, he thought having the child with my daughter would grant him easy citizenship He has been in trouble with the police His father has a dvo of some sort against him
Answered by John Melis in 27 mins 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

74552 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

74552 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

I thank you for sharing today. My name is ***** ***** and I am in Australia. We will work to resolve your issue. I have experienced a similar situation recently, so I understand what you're saying. Let me see what I can do to help you out. Do let us know if you have any further questions.

​You may apply for a restraining order. Also known as a family violence protection order, or a domestic violence order where family members are involved.

When non-family members are involved, it is called a personal safety order or apprehended violence order.

Restraining orders apply to various matters; such as violence, psychological abuse, financial abuse, verbal abuse, or where there is an imminent fear of violence, or where children hear or witness the same.

The restraining order may:

a. Prohibit a person committing violence against another person.

b. Exclude a person from the victim's residence.

c. Restrict a person's access to any premises or specified are, such as the workplace.

d. Prohibit a person from contacting another person associated with the victim.

e. Require a person to do something, like attend counselling.

f. Direct person to use a specific property.

g. To stop stalking, intimidation or harassing conduct.

The restraining order can be broad or narrow in its requirements.

You need to demonstrate how the abuse/violence is occurring.

If you need a restraining order, you may attend your local police station, and they will determine if an order will be issued.

You may make an application at the local Court for a restraining order where the police do not issue one.

You cannot permit the defendant to contravene an order. If the protected person allows a defendant to disobey the order, the defendant will commit an offence if they contact you.

You have a legal right to protect your safety in this situation.

​I thank you kindly for reaching out today.

I appreciate your assistance with a rating of five stars, as this helps me support the community.

If there is anything else, big or small, that I can help you with today, please let me know?

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer