My Ex just served me with separation and divorce proceedings with settlement I just need some advice on how to go about

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: My Ex just served me with separation and divorce proceedings with settlement I just need some advice on how to go about this plus I am not working wants me to move cars whilst we are in stage 4
JA: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?
Customer: no Children involved
JA: Where are you located? Divorce laws vary by state.
Customer: Werribee Victoria
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have the letters that her lawyer sent me on Friday via Email
Answered by John Melis in 1 hour 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

75948 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

75948 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John Melis, solicitor, and I am in Australia.

​Financial separation involves various aspects with alteration of property interests under section 79 of the Family Law Act 1975. The financial separation takes into account four facts:

[1] The process will consider the extent of the property of the parties and its value.

[2] The process will consider what contributions have been made by the parties, including direct and indirect contributions of a financial character and non-financial character, and contributions to the welfare of the family, including contributions as homemaker and parent.

[3] The process will consider the circumstances which relate to the present and future needs of the parties and their means, resources and earning capacity, actual and potential.

[4] The process will consider the effects of points 1 to 3 and resolve what order is just and equitable in all the circumstances of the particular case.

Alteration of property interests between separating couples is an emotional and stressful process and seeking help is essential.

The first step with financial separation is putting together a list of all the assets, and where you are not sure what they are you will need to do a little bit of investigative work to complete list.

Once you have the list ready, the next step is to either commence the process with the forms from the Federal Circuit Court’s website or with the assistance of a lawyer.

Financial separation on an amicable basis should take between 1 to 2 months.

The vital aspect of the financial separation process is documenting the division of the assets in a binding financial agreement or by consent orders, which can be stamped by the court, making absolute and final.

The following link will assist you in determining the division of the assets.

You have a legal right to a proper division of the asset pool.

​I thank you for the question today!

I kindly request that you rate with five stars, as this helps me support the community.

You may come back to this post and ask questions without additional charge.

Thank you for supporting the community.

Thank you John will write down as much as I can and forward

John Melis, Expert

You are welcome and thank you for supporting the community.

John no children we have been married for over 25 years I have catered for both of us if you have an email can forward the letters and assets that have been drawn up by her solicitor in the beginning we agreed that we would do this amicably but she suddenly has a change by involving a lawyer

John Melis, Expert

Just follow the steps above, and you can run your own case. Otherwise you can use a lawyer for the financial separation process.

Here is the information by the way she ended our marriage 2 weeks before Christmas 2019 not what is stated as 2014State/Territory: vic

John Melis, Expert

If you prefer to talk on the telephone, I have sent you a special offer of $8.00 to assist you in more detail, as it will make it easier to discuss your matter. I kindly request that you complete the information on the offer, and we can talk straight away as you need. Otherwise, we can keep chatting in this box.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer