Iinet have told me that a $60 cancellation fee applies on a new contract. is this legal ?? what about the 10-day cooling

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: iinet have told me that a $60 cancellation fee applies on a new contract. is this legal ?? what about the 10-day cooling off period ??
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: iinet have informed me that a $60 cancellation fee applies on a new contract. is this legal ?? what about the 10-day cooling off period ?? (I hope that this is not a double-uo message of one that i just sent thru)
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer?
Customer: Hello ... ??
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I informed them of my decision to casncel once I realized that they had not followed my request on sign-uo. This was on friday
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was at that point that I was told of the cancellation fee ... which equals one month fee
Answered by John Melis in 40 mins 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79040 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
79040 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79040 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

Concerning the cancellation fee of $60, but I suggest you do is consider the below points before taking further action:

In relation to your very important situation regarding the communication aspect with the company, what I suggest you do in this very important circumstance is issue a written correspondence to the company explaining in detail what the issue is and request in for a response within a short period of time such as 72 hours.

Generally once a written response is received, the company that is the dispute will act far quicker on the written communication than a telephone call, as the call ends up in the call centre.

Respectfully, ***** ***** around Australia are having difficulty with the same issue you are having.

And the quickest approach to deal with this type fo matter is sending written communication via the company's website where they have a complaint section, as well as a contact section.

That means you need to do 2 correspondences sent at one time.

In addition, I would also recommend that you send a written correspondence by express post to the company, referencing all the details of your account and addressing the issue of the problem that standing.

Where there is no resolve on this in a period for 14 days, then your next step is to commence proceedings in the local tribunal by filing an application online.

You do not need a lawyer to file an application with the tribunal, you can run the case yourself in this particular respect.

You may have a claim under section 18 of the Australian Consumer Law for misleading and deceptive conduct. In general, misleading someone may include conduct ranging from lying to them, to making false or inaccurate claims, to creating a false impression, to leading them to a wrong conclusion, to omitting important information. Importantly, it is not necessary to establish that the trader intended to mislead or deceive. A person or corporation may have engaged in conduct that was misleading or deceptive even if they have acted honestly and reasonably. Silence may constitute misleading or deceptive conduct, but this will depend on the circumstances of the case.

An objective test is used to decide whether conduct is misleading or deceptive. The court or tribunal will consider whether the conduct was likely to mislead or deceive members of the class or group of persons to whom the conduct was directed.


The Australian Consumer Law

18 Misleading or deceptive conduct

(1) A must not, in trade or commerce <>, engage in conduct that is misleading or deceptive or is likely to mislead or deceive.

(2) Nothing in Part 3-1 (which is about unfair practices) limits by implication (1).

The seller cannot rely on a disclaimer or exclusion clause to protect themselves from misleading or deceptive conduct. However, the fine print will still be considered.

Your claim may be brought into the local court.

You can run the case yourself as the court is designed as a low cost forum to resolve disputes.

Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer