What is the procedure to get legal visitations to see my granddaughter. Very close, I saw her since she was born and saw

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: what is the procedure to get legal visitations to see my granddaughter
JA: How close is the relationship with the grandchild here?
Customer: very close, I saw her since she was born and saw her growing up, she is 5 years old now
JA: What state are your children in? Visitation rights vary by state.
Customer: Western Australia
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my daughter is not allowing me to see Alana, and don't know the whereabouts of Aalana's father in order to start a mediation
Answered by John Melis in 45 mins 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

75892 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

75892 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

Grandparents are entitled to apply for parenting orders pursuant to s 65C of the Family Law Act, which provides:

A parenting which also includes a grandparent may seek and order in relation to a child may be applied for by:

(a) either or both of the child's parents; or

(b) the child; or

(ba) a grandparent of the child; or

(c) any other person concerned with the care, welfare or development of the child.

Whilst grandparents specifically have standing to make an application under the Family Law Act, it does not automatically mean orders will be granted. As with any parenting order, the court will always consider an application by the grandparents through the prism of what is in the best interests of the child: s 60CC.

In relation to your important matter, the best solution to resolve your rights to visit your grandchildren is to utilise the services of the family relationship centre, or relationships Australia.

Both of these organisations will help you mediate and amicable solution with the parents thereby allowing you to spend time with your grandchildren.

The family relationship centre, or relationships Australia is a low cost solution that is nonlegal based and it does achieve successful outcomes, but can be lengthy process.

The alternative, is to commence proceedings in the family court, which unfortunately, can be lengthy and costly. However, at the end of the proceedings you will get a definite result as to your rights of visitation to your grandson.

Again, I do invite you to consider working with the family relationship centre, or relationships Australia, as these organisations are very good to mediate an outcome.

The following detail is on the family court and you may like to look at their website in regards ***** ***** particular process in dealing with the matter.

You have a right to see your grandson and it is just a matter of finding the right path that will work with the parents and yourself in reaching an amicable outcome.

You may also apply for a parenting order or modification to one under section 65C of the Family Law Act, where you are concerned with the care, welfare or development of the child.

For commencing an action in the family court.

You will need to commence an action in the Family Court.

It is recommended that you do use lawyer for this process.

You can run the case yourself

The application is on the following link:

This link is a do it yourself guide on the family court website.

When you seek orders you need to be very precise on the details.


Once you complete the application you file the same with the court and then serve the document on the other party.

There is a small court fee that you will also be required to pay for the process as well.

​Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer