I purchased a 2014 Ford Mondeo for $7500 from a car yard. The car was a 1 owner car with complete Ford service history.

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I purchased a 2014 Ford Mondeo for $7500 from a car yard. The car was a 1 owner car with complete Ford service history. 4 months after the purchase the car has a transmission error that will cost in total $7200. Ford is refusing to pay for repairs. I think this should fall under the ACL? can you help with this?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Victoria, and not at this stage. Consumer affairs website is stating that due to high demand they will only reply to urgent cases. we do not have a car at the moment due to this.
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so.
Answered by John Melis in 22 mins 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79040 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
79040 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79040 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

There are three steps you may take with this important matter.

1. issue a formal complaint in writing to the company and if they refuse then follow step two;

2. Where the company has refused to assist you, the next step is to write s formal complaint to the ombudsman, but this can be a lengthy process. If you are not able to wait out the time, you can follow step 3.

3. You will have a claim under the Australian Consumer Law based on the facts that you have described and you will be able to claim compensation. The legislative Act that applies is the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, Schedule 2.

The company warrants that goods or service are acceptable for their use/service.


a. Goods must be of acceptable quality

b. Goods must be fit for purpose

c. Goods must match their description

d. Goods must match any sample or model.


a. Must be rendered with due care and skill

b. Services must be fit for the specified purpose.

c. Services must be provided within a reasonable time.

The company has several options they can provide where goods or services have not meet the requisite standard. The company can either repair, replace, refund, compensation, and cancel the entire contract.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The chronological order need to be be numbered with points 1, 2, 3, etc. with each point being a separate item.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 7 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 7 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the tribunal .

You can lodge this claim directly on their website. The key element of the claim is the points claim that details the matter, This application point will need a little time to prepare the facts, and I recommend that you download the application first, review, fill it out, and then when you are ready lodge the same online

You may also have a claim of misleading conduct by the seller, under section 18 of the Australian Consumer Law. In general, misleading someone may include conduct ranging from lying to them, to making false or inaccurate claims, to creating a false impression, to leading them to a wrong conclusion, to omitting important information. Importantly, it is not necessary to establish that the trader intended to mislead or deceive. A person or corporation may have engaged in conduct that was misleading or deceptive even if they have acted honestly and reasonably. Silence may constitute misleading or deceptive conduct, but this will depend on the circumstances of the case.

The company cannot rely on a disclaimer or exclusion clause to protect themselves from misleading or deceptive conduct. However, the fine print will still be considered.

Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer