I booked an overseas trip through Jetabroad before the Coronavirus pandemic and requested the flights be cancelled when

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I booked an overseas trip through Jetabroad before the Coronavirus pandemic and requested the flights be cancelled when the Australian Government issued level 4 travel restrictions. Jetabroad acknowledged the cancellation request and advised it could take 12 weeks to process the request. It has now been 15 weeks and the flights have still not been cancelled (I can still see the details on "Manage Flights". I have tried to contact them, but the email address I received correcpondance from them is a no response address, and there are no other email addresses, contact numbers or chat lines on their website. I can't even find a listing for them in Yellow pages. The only way I can contact them is through an on-line form with very specific contact requests to change or cancel the flight (which I already filled in for the original cancellation request. They don't even have a contact for customer complaints. I tried to cancel the filghts directly with the airline, but they will only process cancellations from the travel agent. Shouldn't companies that operate in Australia have a way customers can contact them or lodge complaints?
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer?
Customer: I have contacted Singapore airlines but they will not process my cancellation request as I booked through Jetabroad.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so.
Answered by John Melis in 3 hours 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79220 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
79220 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

79220 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

In relation to your matter, was there any form of correspondence between the parties in written form additionally to what you have told me already.

When I booked the flights, I received a booking confirmation and itinerary. The only other correspondence was the cancellation acknowledgement. All of these came via a no reply email.

John Melis, Expert

In relation to import matter, the aspect you need to consider is the terms and conditions of the agency you are using, especially any ticket purchases you have paid in full, upon reviewing their terms and conditions, if you think the agency or another third-party is not acting appropriately in regards ***** ***** necessary assistance with refunds or changes to bookings, you may be able to raise a claim for misleading conduct.

I note the following actions that you may consider.

Consumers have a set of consumer guarantees when purchasing most products or services that can’t be excluded, modified or limited by contract.


If one of the consumer guarantees under the Australian consumer law has not been met, generally the seller must repair, replace or refund whether it is goods or services. The type of remedy depends on whether the failure is major or minor.

Certain signs are unlawful, such as:

• ‘No refunds’

• ‘No refunds on sale items’

• ‘Exchange or credit note only for the return of sale items’.

Consumer guarantees still apply regardless of whether an item is on sale.

If the customer has simply changed their mind, the seller does not have to refund. However, if the seller has an in-store policy to offer a refund, exchange or credit note if a customer changes their mind, then this policy should be clearly displayed at the point of sale or included on your business’ website (if it has one). If the store has such policies, they must follow them

There are different ways a customer can provide proof of purchase, not just a cash register or hand-written receipt. These may include:

• a credit or debit card statement

• a receipt or reference number given for phone or internet payments

• a copy or photograph of the receipt.

Business cannot:

not mislead customers, including about what the customer is entitled to under their terms and conditions

not act unconscionably when dealing with their customers

not seek to rely on unfair terms in standard form contracts with customers.

You can seek resolution in the following way and claim compensation as well.

I recommend that you file a claim as soon as possible.

What you need to do is issue a formal complaint in writing to the other party, seeking an assessment/review on the matter, and that you require a response within 7 to 14 days subject to your requirements.

Make sure you enclose al factual evidence you have with the correspondence that you send to the other party.

When you draft this correspondence make sure it is in chronological order that is by listing with numbers example; one, two, three, etc.

The more detail you provide it will assist in resolving the specific matter in a timely way.

Where no response is received and you have reviewed the conditions carefully on the agreement if there are any, and you are still not in satisfied with the situation that is occurring, you can then raise a claim in the Tribunal or Court

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer