A boundary between 2 suburban houses is wrongly placed by a matter of between 10 to 20 centimetres, Sorry I hadn't

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: A boundary between 2 suburban houses is wrongly placed by a matter of between 10 to 20 centimetres
JA: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry I hadn't finished typing. This is in Nsw. What rights to that land does the neighbour have
JA: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The neighbour who has the extra land has been informed
Answered by John Melis in 9 hours 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

74726 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

74726 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

Concerning your important matter about the Boundry line being out of position 10 to 20 cm, the result of this type of situation will not incur an adverse possession claim.

Boundry lines do shift over time sometimes between 10 cm up to a metre in some instances. However, the Boundary line itself will not be lost unless a person tries to claim an adverse possession of the land that they've gained on their side.

If you want to rectify this particular situation with the Boundary line, what you need to do is obtain a surveyors report, have the ground peg correctly, with the correct peg markers, and then have the fence realigned in accordance with the Survey drawings.

Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

I am working towards re-establishing the dividing fence in the correct position.
At the moment the fence line is up to 30 cms on my side of the boundary.
I am concerned that, because it has been in the incorrect placefor about 15 years, my neighbours can claim that 30 cm as belonging to them.
They are aware that there is a problem, but appear reluctant to relocate the fence.

John Melis, Expert

I kindly request that you please scroll up. I have posted a reply for you that explains your options, if you cannot see the response, I request that you refresh your screen, and where it does not show please let me know and I will repost it for you. I am here to assist you when you need.

I have tried all the methods you suggest.
Please repost or send to***@******.***

John Melis, Expert

Just to confirm you have obtained a surveyors report and the ground has been re-pegged ?

If you prefer to talk on the telephone, I have sent you a special offer of $8.00 to assist you in more detail, as it will make it easier to discuss your matter. I kindly request that you complete the details on the offer, and we can talk straight away as you need. Otherwise, we can keep chatting in this box.

I seem to have opened a can of worms for you
This is a very early enquiry and no survey has yet been done
However original corner posts exist and the fence doesn't line up with these.
I simply wish to know what claim my neighbours may have over what certainly appears to be my land.
Both my neighbours and I are not responsible for the current fence being in its position.

John Melis, Expert

That is okay we can talk as long as you need in this chat box

The most important thing in rectifying a Boundry fenceline is to have the property surveyed. The surveyor will then place pegs in the ground that will mark the position of the Boundry line

Once these pigs are in the ground, you can then run a string from one position point to the other and have the fence rectified.

​As far as your neighbours right over your land with the movement of the fence, at this present stage they have no legal rights unless they commence an adverse possession claim in respect of that portion of the land which is yours and it's on their side of the fence.

Thank you for your advice. I will go ahead with a survey.

John Melis, Expert

You are welcome, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer