I am looking for a solicitor in the Perth dealing with child custody matters. Please call Marina 0448889130. My niece

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi, I am looking for a solicitor in the Perth dealing with child custody matters. Please call Marina(###) ###-#### My niece needs to prepare affidavit for court appearances in regards ***** ***** new born baby, now only one month old, taken away by Child Protection Agency, Perth.
JA: Are there any allegations of drug, alcohol, or financial problems?
Customer: No, but my niece has mental health issues, and partner and her were not considered suitable to care for their child, they have also broken the relationship with each other. The mother is held without any real reason in Graylands Mental Hospital, possibly to be released in few days with a Community Treatment Order, not sure, and no contact visits to see the child for over 3 weeks.
JA: Are there allegations of physical or emotional danger to your children?
Customer: None at all
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The Child Protection Agency have already issued and filed an Affidavit with complaints of the Parents inability tolook after their child, so a foster care agency are temporarily caring. There was a hearing at Perth Magistrate court but that date was cancelled. Require Legal aid assistance as well to pursue the matter
Answered by John Melis in 5 hours 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

75916 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

75916 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

Concerning your important matter, there are many aspects in relation to insuring the best interest of the child in this case the newborn.

Below are detail aspects about the best interest of the child which will become very important with the affidavit that you draft. I do recommend that you consider these particular points.

Also detailed below is the legal aid links that you require

The best situation with parenting is to try and resolve the matter amicably without court proceedings through family mediation with a counsellor or lawyer.

The Family Relationship Centre is a good option to start with as you will be able to mediate the process without a lawyer and control the situation in the way you require with the protection and best interest of your child.


Equal responsibility for the care and provision of children is assumed by the Court. However, various factors will influence this assumption. Factors includes the current care arrangements for the child, finances, drug use, moral issues and criminal behaviour.

Despite the strong emphasis given to shared parental responsibility after separation, the paramount consideration of the court remains the best interests of the child. Shared parenting outcomes are desirable, indeed preferable, but only where this is consistent with the best interests of the child.

There is a presumption that “equal shared parental responsibility” is in the best interests of children. An order made for equal shared parental responsibility imposes an obligation on the court to consider ordering “equal time” or “substantial and significant time”.

Where an order is made for shared parental responsibility it imposes on parents an obligation to consult on “long-term issues”. Long-term issues are specifically defined in the FL Act to include matters such as health, religion, education, change of name and changes to living arrangements that make it significantly more difficult for the child to spend time with the parent. The court must also consider whether each parent has in the past fulfilled their responsibilities as a parent.

It is possible for parents to come to an agreement between themselves about their children’s care post-separation, without involving any court process. This agreement is called a “parenting plan”. Because it is developed and agreed between both parents, there is no need for the court’s involvement; it is an informal agreement. A parenting plan will generally be more successful where there is a high degree of cooperation and low conflict between the parents. Parents are free to alter the terms of the parenting plans whenever they wish. For example, where the child starts school and arrangements for the school holidays need to be made. In this way, parenting plans provide for great flexibility.

A parent plan must be in writing, signed by the parties and dated.

The parties to a parenting plan will normally be the parents of the child, but could include other persons such as grandparents or step parents who are involved in the care, welfare and development of that child.

The Family Law Act 1975 encourages parties to settle family disputes and to use litigation in the court system only as a last resort.

If the mediation fails the next step is to raise proceedings the Family Court to seek orders for parenting.

You will need to commence an action in the Family Court.

It is recommended that you do use lawyer for this process.

You can run the case yourself

The application is on the following link:

This link is a do it yourself guide on the family court website.

When you seek orders you need to be very precise on the details.


The most important aspect that needs to be addressed to the court is:


How a court determines what is in a child's best interests

Determining child's best interests

(1) Subject to subsection (5), in determining what is in the child's best interests, the court must consider the matters set out in subsections (2) and (3).

Note: Section 68P also limits the effect of this section on a court making decisions under that section about limiting, or not providing, an explanation to a child of an order or injunction that is inconsistent with a family violence order.

Primary considerations

(2) The primary considerations are:

(a) the benefit to the child of having a meaningful relationship with both of the child's parents; and

(b) the need to protect the child from physical or psychological harm from being subjected to, or exposed to, abuse, neglect or family violence.

Note: Making these considerations the primary ones is consistent with the objects of this Part set out in paragraphs 60B(1)(a) and (b).

(2A) In applying the considerations set out in subsection (2), the court is to give greater weight to the consideration set out in paragraph (2)(b).

Additional considerations

(3) Additional considerations are:

(a) any views expressed by the child and any factors (such as the child's maturity or level of understanding) that the court thinks are relevant to the weight it should give to the child's views;

(b) the nature of the relationship of the child with:

(i) each of the child's parents; and

(ii) other persons (including any grandparent or other relative of the child);

(c) the extent to which each of the child's parents has taken, or failed to take, the opportunity:

(i) to participate in making decisions about major long-term issues in relation to the child; and

(ii) to spend time with the child; and

(iii) to communicate with the child ;

(ca) the extent to which each of the child's parents has fulfilled, or failed to fulfil, the parent's obligations to maintain the child;

(d) the likely effect of any changes in the child's circumstances, including the likely effect on the child of any separation from:

(i) either of his or her parents; or

(ii) any other child, or other person (including any grandparent or other relative of the child), with whom he or she has been living;

(e) the practical difficulty and expense of a child spending time with and communicating with a parent and whether that difficulty or expense will substantially affect the child's right to maintain personal relations and direct contact with both parents on a regular basis;

(f) the capacity of:

(i) each of the child's parents; and

(ii) any other person (including any grandparent or other relative of the child);

to provide for the needs of the child, including emotional and intellectual needs;

(g) the maturity, sex, lifestyle and background (including lifestyle, culture and traditions) of the child and of either of the child's parents, and any other characteristics of the child that the court thinks are relevant;

(h) if the child is an Aboriginal child or a Torres Strait Islander child:

(i) the child's right to enjoy his or her Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander culture (including the right to enjoy that culture with other people who share that culture); and

(ii) the likely impact any proposed parenting order under this Part will have on that right;

(i) the attitude to the child, and to the responsibilities of parenthood, demonstrated by each of the child's parents;

(j) any family violence involving the child or a member of the child's family;

(k) if a family violence order applies, or has applied, to the child or a member of the child's family--any relevant inferences that can be drawn from the order, taking into account the following:

(i) the nature of the order;

(ii) the circumstances in which the order was made;

(iii) any evidence admitted in proceedings for the order;

(iv) any findings made by the court in, or in proceedings for, the order;

(v) any other relevant matter;

(l) whether it would be preferable to make the order that would be least likely to lead to the institution of further proceedings in relation to the child;

(m) any other fact or circumstance that the court thinks is relevant.

Consent orders

(5) If the court is considering whether to make an order with the consent of all the parties to the proceedings, the court may, but is not required to, have regard to all or any of the matters set out in subsection (2) or (3).

Right to enjoy Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander culture

(6) For the purposes of paragraph (3)(h), an Aboriginal child's or a Torres Strait Islander child's right to enjoy his or her Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander culture includes the right:

(a) to maintain a connection with that culture; and

(b) to have the support, opportunity and encouragement necessary:

(i) to explore the full extent of that culture, consistent with the child's age and developmental level and the child's views; and

(ii) to develop a positive appreciation of that culture.

Once you complete the application you file the same with the court and then serve the document on the other party.

There is a small court fee that you will also be required to pay for the process as well.

Legal Aid WA

Address: 32 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000

Phone: 1300 650 579


32 St Georges Terrace

Perth 6000 WA

Telephone 1300 650 579

Facsimile (08) 9261 6554

PO Box L916

Perth 6842 WA

Bunbury (Southwest)

7th Floor, Bunbury Tower


Bunbury 6230 WA

Telephone (08) 9721 2277

Facsimile (08) 9721 2060

PO Box 2242

Bunbury 6231 WA

Albany (Great Southern)

Suite 3, 43-47 Duke St

Albany 6330 WA

Telephone (08) 9892 9700

Facsimile (08) 9892 9777

PO Box 5510

Albany 6332 WA

Kalgoorlie (Goldfields)

Suite 3,*****/p>

Kalgoorlie 6430 WA

Telephone (08) 9025 1300

Facsimile (08) 9091 2077

PO Box 10404,

Kalgoorlie 6433 WA

Geraldton (Midwest and Gascoyne)

Unit 8,*****/p>

Geraldton 6530 WA

Telephone (08) 9921 0200

Facsimile (08) 9921 0255

PO Box 7141

Geraldton 6531 WA

South Hedland (Pilbara)

28-32 Throssell Rd

South Hedland 6722 WA

Telephone (08) 9172 3733

Facsimile (08) 9172 2061

PO Box 2254

South Hedland 6722 WA


Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer