I would like to ask how I can get legal advice as the father of my daughter is not giving child support. has been done

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Hi. I would like to ask how I can get legal advice as the father of my daughter is not giving child support. DaN has been done and proven the father of my daughter. As per child support agency, as of today no child support has been given
JA: How old are your children? What state do they live in?
Customer: 13 years old, ACT. As per child support agency, the father owes 4200aud
JA: Is there an agreement for payment of child support?
Customer: it was a court order
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: none
Answered by John Melis in 3 hours 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

75850 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

75850 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

You will have a right of claim on behalf of your children.

The Child Support (Registration and Collection) Act 1988 (Cth) (“CSRCA”) regulates how outstanding child support liabilities are to be collected.

Where a parent is behind in child support payments, the DHS will contact that parent to discuss the situation. The Department of Human Services has powers under its legislations to recover overdue child support through the following ways: garnishing payee parent’s wages; garnishing tax returns; deducting payments directly from a parent's bank account; deduction from Government Benefit payment; court proceedings; restraining the liable parent from leaving Australia.

The applicable legislation is the Child Support (Registration and Collection) Act 1988 (Cth).

The Child Support Registrar has specific powers to aid enforcement, specifically:

− s 72A Collecting child support related debts from a third person

− s 72AA Deductions from social security pensions and benefits

− s 72AB Deductions from family tax benefit

− s 72AC Deductions from veterans' pensions and allowances

− s 72AD Deductions from parental leave pay

− s 72B Person receiving or controlling money of a debtor who is outside Australia

− s 72C Seeking a court order to set aside a transaction to defeat maintenance liability

− s 72D Registrar may make departure prohibition orders.

A child support debt, a debt occasioned due to non payment of a registered maintenance liability, is a debt to the Commonwealth, as opposed to the payer, and is recoverable by action taken by the Child Support Registrar: s 113; or by the payee: s 113A.

The DHS we will work with other Government Departments where a parent is hiding their true levels of income.

What you will need to do is complete a formal application with DHS and they will commence the process of the collection against the father for the non-payment of child support.

Both the Family Court and Federal Circuit Court have jurisdiction under the Act: s 104. Generally, an enforcement application would be issued in the Federal Circuit Court.

The law will be enforced to protect your children’s financial support.

Would you like to consider this option.

Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Thank you so much

John Melis, Expert

You are welcome, and thank you for supporting the community.

Good day. Can you please check why I paid $ 66 dollars today to legal JA.com? Thank you
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer