I wish to discuss a matter of family violence on behalf of a close friend. No. My friend came to Australia on a bridging

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I wish to discuss a matter of family violence on behalf of a close friend.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No. My friend came to Australia on a bridging visa to be with her partner. She was heavily pregnant at the time and had the baby here in Australia. Following the arrival of the child, a boy, she was emotionally and economically abused by the husband. Just after Christmas she decided to go back to China to be with her family for the Spring Festival. Her husband then cancelled her bridging visa and she cannot re-enter Australia. The husband refused to allow her to take her two children back with her at the time. She is now very distraught and desperate to be with her children.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No. The matter has just come to my attention in the last two days.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there anything that can be done to reinstate her bridging visa so that she can remain in Australia. I know the husband as well and his behaviour is quite erratic. He left his child with us to be babysat a few weeks ago and did not return to pick up the child for 48 hours. The child was distraught when he returned and did not want to return home with him. The child also referred to my wife as her new mother.
Answered by John Melis in 1 hour 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

71770 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
71770 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

71770 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.

In regard to your very important matter, your friend will be able to apply for a parental Visa in regard to the parenting of the children.

What I suggest you do at this present time is engage a local immigration lawyer to act on her behalf in Australia to complete the application form as this will insure matters are dealt with correctly and precisely with the immigration department.

Parent visa 103 will allow you

stay in Australia indefinitely

work and study in Australia

enrol in Australia's public health care scheme, Medicare

sponsor your family members to come to Australia

apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible

You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.

If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:

you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident

you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don't require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship

If you apply for the subclass 103 visa as a retiree you don't have to:

meet the balance of family test, or
have a sponsor or an assurance of support

This visa costs from AUD6,100.

You pay for this visa in 2 parts called instalments. Pay the first instalment when you apply. Pay the second instalment when we ask you to.

There is also a charge for any family member who applies with you.

You can be in or outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply for the visa.

You must be outside Australia when we decide on your application.

If you apply in Australia, any family members who apply with you must also be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply. If you apply outside Australia, any family members who apply for the visa with you must also be outside Australia when you apply.

If you are applying as a retiree you must be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply. You can be in or outside Australia when we decide on your application.

​Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer