My bosses work car was broken into on Saturday early morning in a secure underground car park. All my power tools where

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: my bosses work car was broken into on Saturday early morning in a secure underground car park. All my power tools where taken. the buildings gate has been broken for a week and bit and has also been faulty before because of the small motor caring the large gate. no signage was posted around the building and the only sign was posted after the incident. i talked to the managing cleaner and he has told me that the maintenance guy had been away and that is why they had not fixed gate. Im quite annoyed as the area is st kilda and known for thefts. I am not a current resident of this building but my girlfriend is.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: vic
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: seeing if my boss can claim insurance but i was wondering if i have a case against the body corp
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered by Daniel in 4 hours 2 years ago
10+ years of experience

14362 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

10+ years of experience

14362 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.

Daniel, Expert


Duty of a bailee:

Legal term, meaning duty of someone to take care of someone else stuff.
Due to the negligence of not having the place fenced off, leaving the tools in the car and the like, your boss is liable. He needs to remedy this.

What can you do?
You can sue him through VCAT - but of course he is your boss! He will need to fix this by payment, but yes, VCAT is the place to sue him, should you go that route.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service (WITH THE STARS - FINISH BY RATING). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you

The boss will claim insurance he has full comprehensive. So no point sending a letter to body Corp asking for compensation for damages and stolen items ?

Daniel, Expert

You may, but there may well be some notice in the car park that they will not be liable
Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer