Im irish living here in australia on a sponsorship visa, my childs mother who is also irish and under my visa wants to

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: Im irish living here in australia on a sponsorship visa, my childs mother who is also irish and under my visa wants to leave and take my child with her permanently, can she do this without me agreeing?
JA: Who currently has legal custody?
Customer: Well both of us we live together
JA: Is there a child custody order in place?
Customer: No nothing like that
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so
Answered by John Melis in 2 hours 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72962 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

John Melis
72962 Satisfied customers
10+ years of experience
John Melis
10+ years of experience

72962 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
116 Lawyers are online right now.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.


John Melis, Expert

You will be able to place the children on an airport watchlist.

If a parent is concerned that a child will be removed from Australia, whether temporarily or permanently without their consent, they can make an application to the Court for the child's name to be placed on what is known as an "Airport Watchlist" with the assistance of the Australian Federal Police.

Orders for a child's name to be placed on an Airport Watchlist (or to remain on the Airport Watchlist if already there), may be made on both an interim or a final basis and must be filed together with a supporting Affidavit

Once an application for an order placing the child on the airport watchlist has been filed with the court, a copy of the sealed application can be served on the Australian Federal Police who will take action to place the child on the watchlist at all Australian ports of departure on an interim basis, notwithstanding that there is no Court order as yet. The applying party will also be required to fill out specific forms required by the Australian Federal Police which can be obtained on their website

You will need to commence an action in the Family Court.

It is recommended that you do use lawyer for this process.

You can run the case yourself

The application is on the following link:

This link is a do it yourself guide on the family court website.

When you seek orders you need to be very precise on the details.

Once you complete the application you file the same with the court and then serve the document on the other party.

There is a small court fee that you will also be required to pay for the process as well.

In urgent matters Where a person is suspicious that a child may be removed from Australia they can notify the Australian Federal Police.

​Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer