I. I am a joint executor of my mon. I am a joint executor of my mothers will we have reached the stage of application

Expert's Assistant chat
Customer: I
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am a joint executor of my mon
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am a joint executor of my mothers will we have reached the stage of application for probate I understand that assets of my mothers estate cannot be dispose
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a joint exector of my mothers will we are at the stage of application for probate i understand that assets of the estate cannot be sold until probate is granted is this right my brother the other executive of the will has made arrangements to sell the assets now before probate is granted or is this law one of those nobody worries about. He also informed me this morning that my son who i have not seen for 3 years has made a claim on the will and i have to resign from being an executive of the will because of conflict of interest it is also strange that this has not come from the solicitor . the circumstances of the sale are that the infurstructor to load the assets is not quite ready so he intends to hire portable equipment is this nit in the interests of the recipiants of the will .he has also sent an email to each member of the family giving them one chance to comment on him spending $20,000 on the house and if they dont they are not to comment further real estate say not to throw money at the house as we will not get it back is this not in the interest of the recipients. one other thing i forgot to mention the asset to be sold is a herd of breeding cattle normal running of the business is to sell the young calves in may . breeding stock are not sold as a normal part of running a business .I would like to ask which parts of this are legal and which parts are not .and if there are unlawful parts are they just to be ignored or has probate law got any teeth at all
Answered by John Melis in 1 hour 2 years ago
John Melis
10+ years of experience

74552 Satisfied customers

Expert in: Family Law, Legal, Estate Law, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Law, Consumer Protection Law, Bankruptcy Law, Traffic Law, Personal Injury Law.

logoimgimgVerified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
Chat with a Lawyer in minutes, 24/7

Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience

Save time and money. Get specialized help.

John Melis
10+ years of experience

74552 Satisfied customers




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
14 Lawyers are online right now.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

John Melis, Expert

Hi, I’m John, solicitor, and reviewing your post, and may need to ask a few questions a long the way to assist you.


John Melis, Expert

In regards ***** ***** administration of probate for assets, no assets can be sold until the probate has been granted by the court. The reason for this is that the probate documents are needed in order to prevent the argument that fraudulent activity took place by either the executors of the estate or the persons handling the sale of the assets under the instruction of the executors

Concerning your important matter where there is real estate and other fixed assets you'll need to apply for probate in order to administer the estate.

The best way to handle the probate situation is to seek assistance of lawyer that is nearby.

Once probate is granted this state will be distributed in the following manner detail below.

The executor of an estate is responsible for collecting the deceased's assets, paying any debts and then distributing the assets to the beneficiaries. A grant of probate is a legal document that authorises an executor (or executors) to manage the estate of a deceased person in accordance with the provisions of the deceased's will. The executor can take the grant of probate to persons that currently have assets of the estate or that are debtors of the estate (such as banks and retirement villages that are holding bonds) and require them to transfer the assets or monies to the executor (or to such other persons as the executor may nominate in accordance with the will).

Uncontested applications for grants of probate are considered and determined in chambers by a registrar. Grants of probate made on an uncontested application are known as grants in common form.

The Supreme Court of New South Wales only has jurisdiction if the deceased left assets in New South Wales. A grant of probate will not be made if the deceased had no assets in New South Wales.

If a deceased person owned assets in more than one state or country it may be necessary to apply for a grant in each place where assets were located. However, if the deceased had assets in different states of Australia or in certain countries, you may apply for a resealing of the original grant.

Depending on the type, size and value of the assets located in New South Wales it may not be necessary to obtain a grant of probate in New South Wales. There is no statutory requirement to obtain probate in every case. Some asset holders will often release smaller amounts without the need for probate to be obtained.

If assets of the deceased were jointly owned as joint tenants (that is where the co-owners did not own distinct portions of the property - no person has a separate share), if on the death of one of the joint owners (or tenants) the property automatically passes to the remaining joint tenant or tenants. There would be no need for a grant if all of the deceased's assets were held as joint tenants with someone that survived them.

If real estate is held solely in the name of the deceased or a share of real estate is owned by the deceased as tenants in common with someone else, a grant of probate will be required in order to deal with the asset. The certificate of title for real estate will show if the property was held as joint tenants or as tenants in common. The executor can contact the Land Titles Office to check this information.

If there is no real estate then you should consider approaching the asset holders (eg banks, superannuation funds, insurers) to determine if they will transfer the assets without a grant of probate being made. It may be possible to have the asset holder transfer the assets by showing them the original death certificate and will and signing a declaration of your entitlement and/or an indemnity in favour of the asset holder in case someone else subsequently makes a claim. This should be considered, particularly if the executor is the sole beneficiary under the will.

Different asset holders have different criteria and requirements for releasing assets. Note also that the proceeds of life insurance and superannuation generally do not form part of the estate. However, this will depend on the terms of the relevant policy. Despite this, sometimes the trustee will require a grant to be made or resealed before they determine who is entitled to the superannuation or insurance proceeds.

The Supreme Court Rules 1970, Part 78 Rule 16 govern the timeframe for lodging probate. If an application for probate is filed after 6 months from the date of death of the deceased, an explanation must be given to the court accounting for the delay. This can be done by either including an explanation in the affidavit of executor or lodging a separate Affidavit of Delay.

There is no prescribed or approved form for an Affidavit of Delay. If you are preparing a separate Affidavit of Delay adapt UCPR Form 40 and head it "Affidavit of Delay" and provide an explanation for the delay in the body of the affidavit.

All basic applications for probate require the same five documents. Additional documents may then be required to satisfy the court as to other issues.

The five basic documents are:

Form 111 — Summons for probate, administration, administration with the will annexed or reseal; Form 118 — Affidavit of executor; Form 117 — Inventory of property; will and any codicil; and Form 112 — draft Grant of probate letters of administration or letters of administration with the will annexed.

Intestate estates are distributed in the following manner:

Distribution if intestate leaves a partner and no child or other issue

(1) If an intestate does not leave a child or other issue but leaves a partner, the partner is entitled to the whole of the intestate's residuary estate.

(2) This section does not apply if an intestate leaves more than one partner.

Distribution if intestate leaves partner and issue of that partner

(1) If an intestate leaves a partner and a child or other issue who is also a child or other issue of that partner, the partner is entitled to the whole of the intestate's residuary estate.

(2) This section does not apply if an intestate leaves—

(a) more than one partner; or

(b) a child or other issue who is not also a child or other issue of the intestate's surviving partner.

Distribution if intestate leaves partner and child or issue not the child or issue of that partner

(1) If an intestate leaves a partner and a child or other issue who is not the child or other issue of that partner, the partner is entitled—

(a) if the intestate's residuary estate is worth not more than the amount of the partner's statutory legacy, to the whole of the estate, including the personal chattels of the intestate; and

(b) if the intestate's residuary estate is worth more than the amount of the partner's statutory legacy, to—

(i) the personal chattels of the intestate; and

(ii) the amount of the partner's statutory legacy; and

(iii) interest on the partner's statutory legacy calculated at the legacy interest rate from the date of the death of the intestate to the date of payment of that legacy; and

(iv) one half of the balance of the residuary estate.

(2) If subsection (1)(b) applies, any children of the intestate are entitled to the other half of the balance of the residuary estate, and if more than one, in equal shares.

(3) If one or more of the intestate's children predeceased the intestate leaving issue who survived the intestate—

(a) the share of the deceased child is to be divided between that deceased child's children; and

(b) if any of those grandchildren of the intestate predeceased the intestate leaving their own issue who survived the intestate, the deceased grandchild's share is to be divided between the deceased grandchild's children and so on until the entitlement is exhausted.

​Thank you for reaching out today.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

I am a user like you in this chat forum to assist in your important question today.

Thank you kindly for rating me with 5 stars, which helps me support the community.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions without additional charge.

I hope I have assisted with answering your important question today, and thank you for supporting the community.

Ask a lawyer and get your legal questions answered.
See all Legal Questions
Related Legal Questions
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
logo 593 Verified lawyers, 10+ years of experience
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on Askalawyeroncall.com are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. Askalawyeroncall.com is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response as proposing specific action or addressing your specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances should be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on any information received from an Expert, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from independent, freelance Experts, who are not employed by Askalawyeroncall.com . The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credentials of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer