Get answers until you're satisfied

14 Lawyers are online right now.

Across all areas of law.




31,131 Satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Lawyer's, Assistant
Greetings from Ashburton. My question arises from the very recent Ombudsman's report on the MIQ system. My wife (a severely disabled person) and I left Lebanon in June last year after living there for 17 years (I was at the American Uni of Beirut) but we couldn't get back because of the MIQ system so we went to Turkey. My wife's sister, a retired registered nurse and midwife, applied for special consideration for my wife, supporting her claim with medical records I had sent, but that was denied. We finally made it back last December. The Ombudsman specially mentioned the 'unreasonableness' if MBIE in the case of disabled people. I would like to claim compensation from MBIE for those unnecessary 6 months in Turkey. We are not receiving Super because of the 5-year rule so I can't afford the usual legal fees. Any advice would be welcome. BTW do NZ lawyers take on jobs on a contingency basis - no win, no fee? Regards
JA: Have you talked to a New Zealand lawyer about this?
Customer: No, that's why I am dropping you a line.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. The Ombudsman's report only came out very recently. I do have an appointment with the MP for this region tomorrow (she is a Labour MP).
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We are a senior couple (68 and 66). My wife is a NZer by birth and I am by naturalisation in 1972. We have been out of NZ most of the past 43 years having loved in Papua New Guinea, Botswana and Lebanon but I mam now retired. My wife suffered major brain damage as a baby in 1956. She is unable to read and write or use ICT.
Hi my question is to do with newplymouth council putting in water meters, now if the main supply is on my side of the driveway, do they need to ask like a verbal contract to have it placed on the outside of the driveway and then the water meter put in? I'm confused on why they wouldn't put it in where it already is, if I have no option to decline the water meter?
JA: Where is this occurring? I only ask because laws can vary by state.
Customer: NewPlymouth 4312
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven't taken no steps because everywhere I have read just states that new main supply if on your side driveway will be placed on the outside of driveway with new meters.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes the main supply is leaking, I called plumber to fix it and he advised me it's on council side, so council is fixing it but placing it on otherwise of the driveway, and this is where it got me thinking. I couldn't understand why they wouldn't fix it where it already is. Now newplymouth is in process to get water meters put in, which not everyone is happy about. And if I say no fix it where it is, they might not fix it.?
JA: Chat is completed
Customer: I don't know just thought I could understand where they are coming from, if I have rights and they are just trying to blind me with taken my rights away by putting it back on there side of the driveway.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you?
Customer: 👍
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Explore law categories
Powered by JustAnswer